In the age of technology, businesses began facing a problem they never anticipated – big data. While big data itself is not a problem, the way it is stored and accessed has quickly become one.
From your height at the doctor's office to which friends liked your Facebook post, 90% of the world's data was created in the last two years. Two years from now, that will also be true. 80% of all of this data is unstructured.
What is unstructured data? Good question! While structured data sits in rows and columns (think Excel spreadsheet or phonebook), unstructured data does not have a set format—it might be documents, pictures, videos, social media feeds, etc. You can't put those in your Excel spreadsheet. It's three-dimensional!
With all this new unstructured data being created every second, continuing to store data in a database with just rows and columns quickly proved to be inefficient, costly, and increasingly difficult.
At its core, MongoDB is a document model database that allows users the ability to leverage their unstructured data. It is the modern database that is easy to use, fast, flexible, and versatile in order to effectively leverage the power of data in order to create a competitive advantage.
Because of the database’s wide-range of capabilities, I have taken the MongoDB software and broken it down into 5 key features for the everygirl and everyman to understand.
- ADAPTABLE: MongoDB stores data in flexible documents, so the structure can easily be changed when needed. MongoDB is also “scaled across different servers to store and process data”, so as data volume grows, it can be added to another server.
- FREE: MongoDB’s community model does not require any credit card information. Yes, you read that right! The community model offered by MongoDB is completely free and takes just minutes to create. The more advanced your business is, the more advanced model you may need. This will require a payment, but it is a small price to pay for you to understand the data better.
- MODERN: MongoDB is conquering big data. 20 years ago, data was simple, stored in a two-dimensional table, and that was it. Like I mentioned earlier, today we have an exponential amount of data. From Facebook likes to shopping cart additions, there is almost too much data to handle. MongoDB is a platform that is able to organize and leverage this data.
- ACCESSIBLE: Data is complex, but MongoDB is making it accessible and easy to use. According to MongoDB’s website, “the document model maps to the objects in your application code, making data easy to work with.” The software also provides many different “powerful ways to analyze data,” meaning applications are able to help scale the data that is being provided.
- PROACTIVE: MongoDB knows that there is always risk, so they have taken extra precaution to prevent any setbacks. They have created redundant data on multiple servers. If one server goes down, nothing will be affected.
MongoDB has redefined organizing big data for the better. The software is so innovative that it is even able to help with tasks like application development. Companies, big and small, are praising this software because it provides the most-needed solution to the vast amount of data.
To learn more about MongoDB’s product, click here.
A special thank you to Jeffrey Dunn at MongoDB for his contribution to this week's newsletter.
This post was written by Haleigh Hurst, Will Reed Fellow 2018.